Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Sign Language for your Child

If you have not used sign language with your child, I highly recommend trying this with them. I started with three of my kids at age 7 months and they all started signing back anywhere between 8 months and 12 months.

It cuts down on frustration, builds understanding and language skills and makes life a lot easier when they can tell you when they are hungry, want milk or water, need help or want something. My 14 1/2 month-old says "please" in sign when he wants something that's out of reach and asks for "help" when he needs me.

With my two older children, they were never "biters" in preschool and I fully believe it was because they could express themselves from the earliest age and didn't get to the level of frustration where they needed to bite.

I learned sign language from Joseph Garcia's series and I recently found this website that gives a catalog of signs with video - it's super easy to learn and well worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment

VisualDNAShops